Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Today is Becca's Birthday

We officially have two teenagers in the house now. Wish me luck. It's been fun to watch the birthday cakes evolve over the years. There have been some great ones and some not so great ones. I'd say mostly great ones though. Becca's cake this year was not so great. She wanted a pineapple cake. She had been watching the show, "Psyche." They have a pineapple in each episode. I've never really paid attention, but I guess it's true. So…we have a few round cake pans made to put filling in. Jon asked me to make the round cakes. He filled it with yummy raspberry filling and then attempted to make his pineapple cake. Like always, it was late at night before he got started. The cake was too heavy and just started to collapse. Luckily it happened before he spent too much time decorating. So…he was scrambling to decide what to do. Now it was really late. He decided to make a rice krispie cake. Here is where I come in and I can take the blame for this one. I usually make my rice krispies too dry. So I was thinking how I need to make sure these are really yummy and moist. So I added more butter and marshmallows. Not really thinking about how there needs to be some firmness to hold their shape. Jon got the pineapple all decorated with fondant on the outside and then it just started to crumble. Now it was into the wee hours of the morning and their really wasn't anything we could do but laugh and hope Becca would laugh too. She was a good sport in the morning. I warned her ahead of time. Every birthday morning the kids come leaping down the stairs, kinda like it's Christmas…excited to see what dad created and the balloons and presents all magically decorated. So…as Becca came bounding down the stairs, I stopped her at the landing and explained a little about what happened. She understood of course and chuckled at the look of the cake. She did really enjoy the taste of the raspberry filled cake.
If Jon were to go back and try the pineapple cake again, I'm sure he could do it. The kids have been into watching "Cake Boss" and "The Next Great Baker." Emma was into first and would ask Jon to lay down by her at night and sometimes watch "The Next Great Baker" together. He has since learned that he could use some PVC pipe down the middle and layers of cake stacked through it. It's a learning process. But a fun one.


0 comments: