Thursday, December 3, 2015

Turkey Trot Training

Evan is in 5th grade at Buchanan Elementary School. Every year, during the week before Thanksgiving, the top 10 fastest boys and the 10 fastest girls get to walk to Warm Springs Middle School and race in the Turkey Trot. They compete against each other as well as the students from Alta Murrieta Elementary. Evan really wanted to get in. He ran his best and came in as number 10. He was really excited to go. Well, the day before the race came and he told me he wanted to "train" for the race, by running some laps around Palm Tree Ln. That's a loop from our house that measures about a mile. I tried to tell him that usually when people "train" for a race, it doesn't happen the day before and that actually they usually rest a few days before the race and don't run at all. After listening to what I had to say, he still insisted that we go and "train" for the big race. So, I got on my bike and followed him as he ran 3 laps around Palm Tree or 3 miles. 

The next morning, Evan came out of his room and sat down on the couch next to me. He groaned and  twisted his body around and said, "I feel weird...My body hurts and my legs are really sore." HA HA
Despite his soreness, he still did a great job. His goal was to not come in last and he didn't!!

0 comments: