Tuesday, September 1, 2009

First Day of School

Well, the kids started back to school on Wed. August 12th. I think they were ready and I was too! We had a great summer, but 2 months seems like just the right amount of time to take off. Carter really likes being the big man on campus - 5th grade! We go to a really big school - 12oo kids and miraculously, he and his best friend, Taylor, have been in the same class every year. I really think it has been a blessing. Out of 10 classes in a grade, that's pretty amazing. So, Carter was of course, totally excited that Taylor was in his class again this year. Fifth graders have a lot of homework, unfortunately. Sometimes 2 hours. They are in the 7th grade math book this year and it's getting harder each year for me to check his homework. This year I 've had to look back in the lesson and read about it before I check his work. I'm sure it won't be too long before that won't even help me - that's when I'll have to say, "go ask your dad." Carter started band this year - he is playing the trombone. I don't know if I've ever seen him so excited as the day we went to the music store to rent the trombone - it was like Christmas! He was so excited to go home and show his dad. (Their band teacher had told them to sneak up on their parents when their sleeping and wake them up with their instrument). Well, we got home and sure enough, Jon was asleep. I mistakenly told Carter it was o.k., but not to play it too loud. OOPS - poor Jon - I guess it was pretty startling to wake up to a trombone in his ear!! Today is the first official day of band and practicing begins. So, between homework, band, piano and swimming - Carter is going to be a busy boy this year.
Becca LOVES 4th grade. Fourth grade is an interesting year at our school. They really start to help the kids learn to be more independent and responsible, as they are getting closer to their Middle school years. They are not babied as much as they are in the earlier grades. It's fun to see them grow up and take charge - she loves to tell me all about school and things that were funny or the boy that annoys her in class. I'm so glad that she wants to tell me and hope she always will.
Here's Emma on the first day of 2nd grade. I don't think she could look any happier. She loves her class and her teacher is great. She still doesn't LOVE to read. She told me that she'll read if she's really, really bored and there's nothing else to do. Hopefully, as she gains more confidence in her reading, she'll enjoy it more.
Evan started preschool this year. He was really excited. He has a good friend and neighbor, Jayden, who is in the same class, so he has enjoyed that. I have been filled with mixed emotions as he has begun this new phase in his life - it's fun, of course to see your kids grow and learn and be excited about new things, it also makes me sad that he will never be my little baby again. At the same time, I look forward to new and different stages in our lives. As Kate grows and gets older, it becomes easier as a family to do things like hiking and biking and playing catch at the park. I guess that's what lifes all about! Anyway, it's all fun and I love being a mom to these amazing little people!!!!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I can't believe how big your kids are getting! It a;ways surprises me how much Carter looks like Jon. Fun fun!

Anonymous said...

How fun to hear about all the kids back to school! They are so cute!!!
Chandler is playing the trumpet/cornet in band. Isn't it cute that they get so excited about an instrument?! Hailey sounds just like Emma with her reading too! =) BTW, Happy Birthday today sweet friend!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED the pictures of each of the kids and reading your comments. They are beautiful people. I love you lots.
Love, Mom