Tuesday, February 1, 2011

We Have a Pet!!

Well, we finally did it - got a pet! It's a cute little mommy hummingbird. She stays in a nest just outside the kitchen window. She has two tiny little eggs in her nest. The kids can't wait for the eggs to hatch. They are all making sure that everyone is very careful when we walk on the side of the house, so we don't knock down the nest. I don't know what the big deal is about caring for a pet - there's really nothing to it. Our little mommy is pretty self-sufficient - she even get's her own food. We just look at her and say, "oohh...she's so cute." Actually, I first noticed the hummingbird the day after I attended a "fruit tree" class at our local nursery where someone mentioned that hummingbirds like pommegranite trees. We planted a pommegranite tree last year - it's about 10 feet from where this mommy settled down. Maybe if we get any pommegranites this year, I'll open one up for her and let her drink some juice. And maybe if the kids do a good job taking care of our little hummingbird and it's babies, then we might think about getting a dog :)







3 comments:

Deyce said...

Well in this case, we've had a pet, too. I'm going to have to mention it to Garrick next time he starts pestering about Logan wanting a dog. :)

Kristi said...

We get a new bird's nest in one of trees every year. It's so fun!
You guys were in my dream the other night. You moved to my old neighborhood where I grew up and I was showing you around. Random

Anonymous said...

We really enjoyed when we had a hummingbird as a pet a few years ago. We even put it on a video and made a dvd. It was great fun. Good luck with your new pet!

Love,
Mom and Dad