Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Grapefruit - sugar or no sugar

I always knew Evan's taste buds were a little messed up. I was shocked when as a little tiny guy, he wouldn't eat any fruits - fresh, ripe, juicy pears; yummy bananas; delicious raspberries picked from grandma's bushes; you name it and he wasn't interested in it! He prefers soy milk to regular milk and he was the first one-year-old I've know who didn't take even one bite of his own birthday cake!
I don't remember having "cravings" for anything with any of my other pregnancies, but with Kate, I really craved grapefruits. One day I was eating one when Evan asked if he could try a bite. I said sure, but warned him that it was pretty sour and I didn't know if he'd like it. Well, surprise surprise, he liked it - but he didn't like the sugar that I sprinkled on top. This morning I fixed a grapefruit for me and then Evan asked if he could have half. He also asked if I'd scrape off the sugar that I had already sprinkled on. - Is that weird? I guess I shouldn't be surprised - but how can you turn down so many yummy foods, but like eating grapefruits without sugar sprinkled on top. I have to add that Jon also likes eating grapefruits without sugar, which I have always told him is very strange! So, I am concluding that Evan takes after his father and that his strange and picky eating habits all come from his father's side of the family. Thanks Jon!:)

7 comments:

djones said...

Hmmm...I didn't know we were picky at all! Actuallly, now that I think about it we are a little picky. After all, I stay away from olives and tomatoes as well as any ice cream that's pink or green. Maybe Evan does get his eating genes from the Jones side. Sorry.
Love, Dad

Kristi said...

I like grapefruit with a little bit of salt! yum yum

Dawn said...

Salt? That sounds really weird! :) But, I'll have to try it.

Anonymous said...

I love a good grapefruit but I don't like grapefruit with sugar on it. I get enough sugar in all my treats!!! Raising our boys, I don't remember any picky eaters. They were all really good eaters. It was rare to have leftovers. I was surprised Evan didn't want his B-day cake. He must not take after me in the sweet department. He does in the grapefruit, however.
Love, Mom

Nate and Amy said...

My kids like grapefruit, too. Although they probably would like the sugar, too. You should see how much they try to put on top of their oatmeal!
Amy

Justin said...

It is not the Jones way to put sugar on grapefruit...it must be a Robbin's thing.

The Ditto clan said...

Grapefruit without sugar? Makes me pucker up just thinking about it. Sugar is essential to grapefruit.