Monday, November 12, 2007

Still eating oranges

Well, Evan is still eating oranges. It just doesn't seem real. Today at the park, he ate a whole clementine - and it wasn't even cut in wedges like he normally eats- it was peeled ( which he started by biting into the orange peel). Yesterday he took some bites around a whole apple with the peel and all. We were sitting at the table for dinner and we all just stared at him with our jaws hanging open. Of course today, he took a mouse size bite of applesauce and made the usual face of disgust. We still have a long ways to go, but we are making baby steps in the right direction.

The kids and I had fun today. We drove down to meet Jon at a park for lunch. It was really nice to see him. He called me today and said he'd be home early because his second headlight burned out and he wouldn't be able to drive in the dark. I thought that was funny. It was pretty dark when he actually rolled into Pep Boys to buy some new headlights.

Becca reminded me of me today. She had a homework assignment to survey 20 people and find out what their favorite kind of pie was. So, after asking us, the Bullocks, and a few other neighbors, she still needed 3 more people. She asked me, "what do I do?" I suggested she call her grandparents, who would love to get a phone call from her. She then proceeded to flip out - "But, I don't know what to say....blah blah,blah." (This freaking out part went on for a really long time - about how she doesn't know what to say and what if Grandma answers and she thinks it's Grandpa or she doesn't know who it is, etc, etc.) I tried to reassure her that it wasn't a big deal and that her grandparents love her and that it's normal for people to get mixed up about who's on the phone. I offered to role play it with her. Finally, she consented to letting me write down exactly what she should say on our white board and then she'd try it. Of course, after she called, she realized it was easier than she'd thought. The part that reminded me of me was the need for motherly intervention when it came to making phone calls. I used to role play with my mom about what to say and even in high school, I'd have her help me write down exactly what to say. So, if I'm ever talking to any of you on the phone, and it sounds rehearsed - now you know why. :)

2 comments:

djones said...

Love the blog! I really like how you've added more than one picture per comment.

The Ditto clan said...

Yay for Evan! The story about Becca made me laugh. It must be a Robbins' thing, because I certainly am not a fan of the phone either!